Celebrating and Choconut Berry Bars

October 03, 2014


So, it has been two years. I have had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome for two years. Two very long and hard but reasonably fast years! I can't believe it. Two whole years since my life got shaken up and completely changed. Two years since my normal took a 180.
 
However, hitting the two years has also been a bit of a celebration. I remember the chronic fatigue fact sheet I was given when I was first diagnosed 16 months ago. Prognosis: 2 years to 10 years. 
Two years are over! I don't know about milestones, but I feel like this is a bit of one of them. Two years, done. I don't know what God has in store ahead of me, I don't know how many more years this will go on, but I know He has sustained me and provided for me for the past 2 years, and for that I am thankful!
 
So this week I have had the chance to celebrate something else, Maddie's birthday.
And for this I managed to whip up a new creation. Choconut Berry Bar. A yummy chocolate, coconut, raspberry frozen bar, perfect for this warm spring weather we are hitting in Sydney.
This recipe came about as a variation on My Darling Lemon Thyme's Mexican Chocolate Almond Cookies and A Little bit of Homemade Heaven's Frozen Raspberry Bounty Slice. I really wish I had more time to make fun things like this, but due to the whole chronic fatigue factor, these things come around rather irregularly. However, it has meant that due to dietary constraints I can now bake and cook many more paleo yummy things!!
 

Choconut Berry Bar



A slice of yum! Styled (ie placed ready for eating) on my new Anthropologie plates.


Step 1: Biscuit Base

1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup cornflour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup dark chocolate chopped
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp almond milk (add more if mixture not moist enough)
 
Mix all the ingredients well.
Place in the bottom of a lined brownie tin.
Bake for 15 minutes or until firm.
Remove from oven and cool.
 

Step 2: Coconut Cream

1 cup coconut (shredded or desiccated)
1 can coconut cream
1 tbsp maple syrup
 
Mix all together and pour on top of cooled base.
 

Step 3: Berries

2 cups frozen berries
 
Sprinkle berries of choice over top of cream.
Press in lightly.
Place in freezer whilst you mix up chocolate drizzle.
 

Step 4: Chocolate Drizzle

1/4 cup melted coconut oil
2 tbsp cocoa
1 tbsp honey
 
Mix all and drizzle over berries.
Freeze.
 

Step 5: Consumption

Chop frozen bar into single serving sizes using a warm knife.
Eat as individual icecream bars (with your fingers!) or allow to soften slightly and use a spoon!
 
Choconut Berry Bar
Happy Birthday, Maddie!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

A photo posted by Kate Eastman (@makeitbakeitfakeit) on